Menorrhagia is prolonged menstrual bleeding that lasts for more than 7 days. It can also be in the form of heavy bleeding.
How do you know if you have heavy bleeding?
If you need to change your tampon or pad after less than 2 hours or you pass clots the size of a quarter or larger, that is heavy bleeding.
1. Uterine-related problems
· Growths of the Uterus (Uterine Fibroids or Polyps).
· Cancer of the Uterus or Cervix.
· Ectopic Pregnancy.
2. Hormone-related problems
3. Other illnesses or disorders
· Bleeding-related Disorders:
Platelet Function Disorder.
· Nonbleeding-related Disorders:
Liver, kidney, or thyroid disease.
Pelvic inflammatory disease.
4. Drugs: Aspirin
You might have Menorrhagia if you:
1. Have a Menstrual flow that soaks through one or more pads or tampons every hour for several hours in a row.
2. Need to double up on pads to control your Menstrual flow.
3. Need to change pads or tampons during the night.
4. Have Menstrual periods lasting more than 7 days.
5. Have a Menstrual flow with blood clots the size of a quarter or larger.
6. Have a heavy Menstrual flow that keeps you from doing the things you would normally do.
7. Have a constant pain in the lower abdomen during your periods.
8. Feel tired, lack energy, or short of breath.
If you have this type of bleeding, you should see a doctor
Untreated heavy or prolonged bleeding can stop you from living your life to the fullest. It also can cause Anemia. Anemia is a common blood problem that can leave you feeling tired or weak. Also having a bleeding problem could lead to other health problems.
Your doctor might tell you that one or more of the following tests will help find out if you have a bleeding problem:
. Blood Test
. Pap Test
. Endometrial Biopsy
. Dilation and Curettage (D&C)
The type of treatment you get will depend on the cause of your bleeding and how serious it is. Your doctor also will look at things such as your age, general health, and medical history; how well you respond to certain medicines, procedures, or therapies; and your wants and needs.